Effective starting: October 23, 2020
Let us begin this document with the most important point: the Postman community is an utterly inspirational group of people on many levels. Every day, we see countless instances of exemplary behavior from members; you are brilliant, kind, respectful, collaborative, and funny. You exhibit the finest that human beings have to offer. At the risk of stating the obvious, this is the type of conduct that we want and expect at all times, and we thank you for your efforts in this area.
That said, sometimes there are actions or behaviors that veer outside the guardrails. This document provides some specifics on those guardrails so that every member of the community knows exactly where Postman stands.
So, here we go:
Postman is dedicated to providing an inclusive and harassment-free experience for participants at all of our events, period. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all people, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, religion, sex (including pregnancy, transgender status, and sexual orientation), disability, genetic information, physical appearance, body size, age, or any other status protected by the laws in which the conference or program is being held. Seriously, we mean everybody.
This Code of Conduct may be revised at any time by Postman and the terms are non-negotiable. Your registration for or attendance at any Postman event indicates your agreement to abide by this policy and its terms.
All event participants are expected to behave in accordance with professional standards, with both this Code of Conduct as well as their respective employer’s policies and Postman's policies governing appropriate workplace behavior and applicable laws.
The following behaviors are expected and required of all community members:
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions. Be kind and courteous. Remember that your intended tone is not always conveyed via written text.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- If a moderator contacts you about your behavior, don’t get defensive—instead, use it as a learning experience.
- Identify yourself appropriately (ideally by your actual name) through name tags or badges (including digitally).
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable:
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, religion, sex (including pregnancy, transgender status, and sexual orientation), disability, or genetic information
- Unwelcome sexual attention—this includes sexualized comments, images or jokes and unwelcome sexual advances
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following, including private harassment outside of the Postman Galaxy or other event platforms
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes, commentary, and language
- Displaying sexually explicit or violent material
- Damaging any Postman digital property
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
- Usernames that are sexually suggestive or otherwise unwelcoming
- Spamming, trolling, flaming, baiting, or otherwise inappropriate attention-seeking behavior
Individuals who participate (or plan to participate) in Postman events should conduct themselves at all times in a manner that comports with both the letter and spirit of this policy prohibiting harassment and abusive behavior, whether before, during, or after the event. This includes statements made in social media postings, online publications, text messages, and all other forms of electronic communication.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
If you feel like a thread needs moderation, flag it. If you witness or are the subject of harassing behavior, please let a member of the Postman team know.
Unacceptable behavior from any member of the community, regardless of status or position, will not be tolerated. This includes behavior in all event-related activities and communication, as well as social media or other online forms of electronic communication relating to the Postman community.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. Consequences may range from a written warning, removal from communication channels, full expulsion from the event (with no refund) up to and including involvement of local law enforcement. Postman reserves the right to exclude any participant found to breach our Code of Conduct from participating in future Postman events or other activities.
IIf you are subject to—or a witness to—unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns at any time about behaviors or activity within the Postman community before, during, or after the Postman Galaxy conference or other events, please notify a Postman representative as soon as possible or email firstname.lastname@example.org.